There are a huge number of shampoos that claim to help with preventing hair loss. A lot of these shampoos contain natural herbs. There are some herbs, which over the years, have been recognised as helping with this problem. These are now often included in hair loss shampoo. The selection of a herbal shampoo depends on the type of hair loss involved and the way in which the herbal ingredients work.
There are four main ways that herbs act to help prevent loss of hair: circulation to hair follicles may be increased or maintained, Dihydrotestosterone can be inhibited and reduced around hair follicles, irritation and inflammation may be reduced or the scalp and hair follicles may be cleaned to increase their general health and longevity. These are the main herbs that seem to act against the loss of hair.
- Rosemary. This herb has been used for many centuries. It is known to increase blood circulation and for this reason is seen as a way of stimulating hair follicles to remain healthy by ensuring a regular good supply of nutrients. It also has ingredients which mop up any free radicals. Free radicals are known to speed up the aging process and so anything which removes these will help to keep your skin young.
- Nettle. It is thought that nettle extracts can inhibit the production of Dihydrotestosterone. This is produced from testosterone and is involved in male pattern baldness. Whether local applications of this will help prevent baldness is another question. However, there are a lot of products which attempt to work in this way. Nettle also contains a range of vitamins and minerals that are good for hair growth.
- Sage. It is known as a deep cleanser. This herb will thoroughly clean the scalp. Keeping the hair follicles clean is an important part of keeping them healthy. Healthy follicles should last longer. It is also known to be effective against dandruff.
- Saw Palmetto. This herbreduces the amount ofDihydrotestosterone in the scalp tissue and hair follicles.
- Aloe Vera: This ingredient works by calming and healing irritated skin. It also cleans the scalp and hair follicles very well. It is also suggested that it promotes hair growth.
- Arnica. The healing properties of Arnica prevent and alleviate unhealthy scalp conditions. It ensures adequate nutrition to the hair shaft and follicles and therefore promotes hair growth and prevents scalp disorders.
- Marigold. Marigold cleans and soothes dry itchy scalp and helps slow down hair loss
- Catmint. This encourages hair growth and soothes scalp irritation
- Horsetail: This herb contains a lot of silica which is a popular ingredient used in preventing hair loss. It promotes hair growth by increasing the health of hair follicles and the strength of hair produced.
- Liquorice. It contains substances with anti inflammatory properties. It also helps to keep the scalp skin moist and hydrated.
A lot of hair loss shampoos contain mixtures of the above herbs in order to try and provide a balance of methods to prevent hair loss. However, if you are expecting some magic solution that is going to bring back all of that lost hair then you should think again. The best you can hope to achieve is a reduction in hair loss and maybe some regrowth due to the general health of the scalp improving.